Broadband for the Bush Monthly Member Feature — ACCAN
The Australian Communications Consumer Action Network or ACCAN for short have been a member of the B4BA since its inception. They are Australia’s peak communications consumer organisation representing individuals, small businesses and not-for-profit groups as consumers of communications products and services.
B4BA is highlighting their most recent entitled “CAN YOU HEAR ME? Ranking the customer service of Australia’s phone and internet companies”
Keep an eye out also for ACCANs next grant round which will be available later this year.
2018 Darwin Forum
The Forum attracted close to 200 participants from across Australia and called for a renewed push for increased delivery of digital skills for rural and remote Australia. In particular we see a high need for more targeted investment in digital literacy programs especially for indigenous and isolated communities.
The Alliance continues to bring together people who are passionate in creating a vibrant, connected and creative Australia for rural regional and remote communities. As such the Forum provided a valuable networking opportunity for all delegates, sponsors and speakers.
The Forum program included some new features this year:
- The ABCs “Big Ideas from the Bush” – A panel discussion moderated by ABC journalist Cathy Van Extel – to be broadcast in coming months
- “Influencing to accelerate action on digital inclusion- why, what, and how?” – A live plenary streamed to several locations nationally
- An interactive Android App and iOS App for all delegates to share information
- Speaker presentations are now available here.
The annual (IFD) Indigenous Focus Day press release here, facilitated by Christine Ross prior to the B4B Forum, provided insight into indigenous communities’ telecommunication challenges with a number of community workshops identifying how progress could be made towards better digital inclusion for indigenous communities. A summary of the forum is available and B4BA representatives are keen to continue the conversation.
The Internet and Telehealth Survey
B4BA is also undertaking a national survey to evaluate people’s access to Internet, telecommunications and their understanding of telehealth services available through videoconferencing. During recent years significant effort has been made to increase the availability of telehealth services in Australia and B4BA is keen to evaluate the impact of this investment.
Your participation in this survey would be appreciated. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBSVD6G
The survey is being done by B4BA with assistance from the Northern Institute, Charles Darwin University and support from the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) and Aboriginal Medical Services Northern Territory (AMSANT).
Closing date: extended to 23 July 2018
- Media release from 2018 Darwin Forum
- Media Release from the 2018 Indigenous Focus Day
- Proposal to introduce Indigenous Digital Inclusion as a Closing the Gap key performance measure (letter)
- Towards a digital strategy for the NT (recommendations)
- Media Release July 2017
- Forum VI Communique